Background of ministry
Did you know that right here in Savannah we have a large population of refugee families from all over the world?! Every week many of these families find community, hope and love through the work of the Hope Academy. Since 2015 Brian and Heather Flood have led Hope Academy and their team of volunteers as they teach English classes, tutor, mentor and build relationships with these incredible families as they overcome unimaginable obstacles to create a new life in a land completely foreign to them.
At Hope Academy we believe everyone benefits when people find their Hope and Pursue their Purpose. We do that by helping our neighbors, who have come here from around the world, learn English. We help them integrate with their new culture and pursue their purpose beyond language learning by sharing their gifts with our community. Our focus is using education to welcome adults and their families. If you have a desire to welcome our new neighbors well in the name of Jesus then contact us. There is likely a place for you to share Hope with our new friends.
Typically volunteers serve two hours once a week or less.
Ways to Serve
- Women to serve in our Friday program through our teaching team, hospitality team, children’s team and transportation team. Mothers with children of all ages are encouraged to serve with their children.
- Men who can help with special events and one time practical helps opportunities like moving day or special sports opportunities.
- Summer Volunteers are needed in all areas listed above for both our Friday program and Camp Hope, a sports/music camp for Hope Kids.
- Families who want to serve together will find a special opportunity at Camp Hope in the summer.
- Advocates for Hope Academy and its team to sustain our reach within our community.